Australian Sports Turf Consultants (ASTC) provides independent sports field auditing of natural turf facilities, including elite and community sports fields, schools, golf courses, racetracks and bowling greens.
Achieving improved accessibility, safety and quality sporting surfaces requires a clear understanding of the factors affecting the performance of the surface. Factors include venue usage, design, construction and maintenance. To quantitatively define and measure these factors and assess any limitations present, it is essential that an independent sports facility audit be undertaken.
Councils, schools, community and elite sports facilities who have contracted ASTC to conduct sports field auditing have in turn requested repeat testing, otherwise known as benchmarking. Sports facility benchmarking enables the client to track how their facility is performing based on earlier data, seek additional turf maintenance advice, maintain their asset and show a duty of care to the end user. Testing for Councils also helps them prioritise which of the fields should receive an allocation of their annual budget to conduct routine, minor or major works to improve turf quality and field safety.
ASTC can also undertake an independent review of sports field usage data and can provide information that will assist Councils, clubs, schools etc. to make sure they are not over using their asset(s).
Specialist sports field auditing and or benchmarking services may include, but not limited to following the following tests using a range of performance testing tools:
- Traction testing.
- Surface hardness testing (Clegg Impact Hammer).
- Subsoil compaction testing (hydraulic penetrometer).
- Soil moisture testing.
- Water infiltration testing.
- Irrigation auditing (distribution uniformity testing).
- Field levels can be assessed by undertaking a grid survey.
- Identification of surface levels by grid survey; micro levels, undulations and trip hazards.
- Turf quality and cover, including weed identification, incidence of pests and disease.
- Analytical testing including independent soil, leaf tissue and water nutritional testing, organic matter content testing, plant health disease testing etc.
- Observation of turf maintenance practices and field usage.
A detailed report on observations made and recommendations to improve turf quality, maintain field safety and to help maximise resources is provided. Please click here to view a sports field audit example report provided by ASTC. Please contact us for further information or to obtain a quote.